On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 11:03:54 +0000, "Thomas Adam"
said:
..

> That will stop the windows from taking focus when they're mapped, but it
> won't stop windows taking focus if they're via certain EWMH-hints --
> which
> nothing you've show here addresses, and is likely going to annoy you
> more,
> based on what you've described.
>
> So, here's some further things to consider:
>
> * FVWM can to be told to not give focus to applications that request it
>   through various means with:
>
>   Style * !FPFocusByProgram
>
>   ... disallows that application to request focus itself.
>
> * FVWM can be told not to give focus to an application where focus is
> sent
>   using FlipFocus/Focus:
>
>   Style * !FPFocusByFunction

Thanks so much for your suggestions :)

I had both of those styles in my config prior to your suggestion to use
"FvwmAuto 900 -menter." Since !FPFocusByProgram prevented that from
working, I removed it along with several other styles I thought might be
too drastic. Putting "!FPFocusByProgram" back in...done. What about
!FPFocusByFunctionWarpPointer?

> .... which is OK.  But the latter is a little drastic.  Indeed, when most
> people use "!FPFocusByFunction" what they're *really* after is destroying
> or
> redefining the definition of "EWMHActivateWindowFunc"

I came across this function in my searches. I hadn't yet decided how I
wanted to handle this situation. Same with the UrgencyFunc and
UrgencyDoneFunc--I think I want some kind of a notification even if I
don't want it to grab focus. So for now I left it as is.

Also, since then I've started using fvwm within LXDE, and my attention
moved to other issues...