On 11 May 2010 00:34, Omar Zakaria <omar_zaka...@agilent.com> wrote:
> Hey everyone. I'm seeing a strange problem with FVWM v2.5.27. I'm
> not sure if it's a bug or some odd configuration on my end or what,
> but I'd appreciate some help all the same.

Use 2.5.30, please.

> So, I've got 2.5.27 installed on a Redhat EL5.5 machine and in
> general, it seems to work fine. We also have installed on the
> machine an in-house Smalltalk app that runs using Cincom
> Visualworks 7. When we open the app, the first window
> appears just fine, but if we try to open any other of the
> application's windows, the whole thing freezes, the new window
> does not appear, and we have to forcibly kill the process. Then,
> even stranger, the next time we load up the app, everything
> works fine and we can open as many windows are our hearts
> desire. But, when we reboot, log out, or otherwise end our login
> session, we have to repeat the process over again (i.e. launch
>  the app, close it, and launch it again before we can actually use
> it.)

What is this program written in?  Smalltalk you say?

> I launched the smalltalk app in gdb and found that it was hanging
> in an Xlib call: XPeekIfEvent(). I can't really introspect it more than
> that, I'm afraid. Strangely, when I launched the app in gdb again
> afterwards (the second time, so everything should be cool) and
> asked it to break on an XPeekIfEvent() call, I found that no such
> call was made.

Can you get a proper stack trace, please?

> Does anyone have any ideas as to what's going on or whether
> this is indeed a bug?

Is there a way for me to get ahold of this application so I can see if
I can reproduce it myself?  Or can you find some other application
which does the same thing?  It could be *anything* at this point --
maybe some of the windows are still in the Withdrawn state when
they're mapped, etc.,e tc., but that's just pure speculation, and I've
no way of verifying that.