On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 12:09:48PM -0700, Omar Zakaria wrote:
> On May 11, 2010, at 12:58 AM, Thomas Adam wrote:
>
> > On 11 May 2010 00:34, Omar Zakaria <omar_zaka...@agilent.com> wrote:
> >> Hey everyone. I'm seeing a strange problem with FVWM v2.5.27. I'm
> >> not sure if it's a bug or some odd configuration on my end or what,
> >> but I'd appreciate some help all the same.
> >
> > Use 2.5.30, please.
>
> Thanks for getting back to me so quickly, Tom.

No problem.  Please, call me Thomas.

> Just compiled and installed it now. I'm afraid there's no change. Actually,
> I now have to kill the program twice before I can open windows correctly.

When you say "kill the program", I am intrigued as to what that means.
Logically, if you kill all instances of this program, including any forked
process (or anything in its PGID), then starting it up a second time, should
exhibit this same behaviour -- time and again -- regardless of the number of
times you start this application.

So at this point, I am wondering whether you're killing what you think you
are, because in my mind, what you've described here suggests that some
process of this application is still running, and by you starting it a
second time, after you "think" you've killed it, is actually forcing it to
Do The Right Thing (tm) -- whatever that might be.

> I just went back and confirmed that this has always been the case: On
> first launch, I only get to the app's splash screen before it hangs. On
> the second launch, I get to the app's main window, and on the third
> launch, I can use the app freely.

And do these steps necessitate you killing processes related to this
application?

> Yes.
> In case you're not familiar with it, it's a language that runs in a VM.

I know what SmallTalk is, having had the (mis)fortune of using it.

> Aye aye. I'm afraid it's not particularly helpful, but here it is:
>
> #0  0xb7f72402 in __kernel_vsyscall ()
> #1  0x008a088d in ___newselect_nocancel () from /lib/libc.so.6
> #2  0x009861d5 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libxcb.so.1

Ah.  So it's using XCB, is it?  That's interesting as FVWM itself doesn't.
I hope there's no oddity there in anything XCB provides as "backwards
compatible".

Is this with whatever SmallTalk would define as "-g" -- i.e., debug symbols?
Looks a little light to me on information.

> I'll see if I can get authorization to send you the image.
>
> You might first download the Cincom VisualWorks VM. Like I said,
> we're using v7.3.1. I think you can download that particular version
> from here: http://cincomsmalltalk.com/scripts/DownloadCD.ssp.
>
> I'll see about getting something else to act the same way. At the
> very least, I might be able to whip up a simple Smalltalk app that
> does the same thing.

Fine.  Then until you do that, there's really not a lot I can go on until
then.

So I shall wait.

"It was the cruelest game I've ever played and it's played inside my head."
-- "Hush The Warmth", Gorky's Zygotic Mynci.