Thomas Adam wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 02:27:25PM +0200, Michael Großer wrote:
>
>> 2. destroy_window
>> =================
>> This page...
>> http://www.fvwm.org/documentation/manpages/unstable/FvwmEvent.php
>> ... mentions "destroy_window" only two times.
>> I can guess what it does, and I think, I will
>> solve my problems with this, but one little section
>> for each event that explains what exactly causes
>> the respective event, would be a nice improvement.
>
> Note also -- there is this rather idiotic thread:
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/fvwm@fvwm.org/msg00949.html
>
> But take away from that post that some of the information you're wanting --
> whilst useful -- might be adding bloat.  In your case, are you saying for
> FvwmEvent you want an explanation of what each event does, and when it's
> triggered?  I could add that, but assumed the names themselves are
> self-documenting.
>
> Again -- can you provide an example using "destroy_window" what sort of
> information you're wanting to see?

Such kind of information could be nice:

- destroy_window:
  --> Generates an event if a window disappears.

- res_class:
  --> What exactly causes this event?
      (I don't know)

- res_name:
  --> What exactly causes this event?
      (I don't know)

So, a list would be fine that mentions
this kind of information:
- event name
- what exactly causes the event
- event name
- what exactly causes the event
- event name
- what exactly causes the event
- ...
- ...
- ...
- and so on

>> 3. continuous text
>> ==================
>> The human race is an image processing animal.
>> When I was studying the bindings syntax, I needed
>> a reference. I needed the particular options
>> in tables. But, I found them amongst continuous text.
>> The first thing that I did was creating my own
>> reference (half German, half English) that
>> I attached to this e-mail message.
>
> I am *especially* keen on this sort of information because of the impending
> 2.6.0 release.  I have no problems delaying FVWM further if this sort of
> thing is going to be useful; *but* making the data tabular also might lose
> readability in things like man page formats.

Give it a try.

> You are aware we have HTML documentation which fragments the monolithic
> manpage, right?
>
> http://fvwm.org/doc/unstable/index.html

Now, I am ware of this, beaus you pointed this out ;-)

>> Just look at the attachments to guess what I mean.
>
> Sorry, I don't speak German.  But if you can be more specific about which
> areas you think would benefit from tabulating information, I am happy to
> work with you to accomplish this.

Look at this:
http://www.fvwm.org/doc/unstable/fvwm/fvwm.man.html#menus
31.1.13. Menu
The orange color of the headwords and then the documentation
in black color is a good start.

Now, look here:
http://fvwm.org/doc/unstable/commands/Mouse.html

Read this text:
> Context describes where the binding applies. Valid
> contexts are 'R' for the root window, 'W' for an
> application window, 'D' for a desktop application
> (as kdesktop or Nautilus desktop), 'T' for a window
> title-bar, 'S' for a window side, top, or bottom bar,
> '[', ']', '-' and '_' for the left, right, top or
> bottom side only, 'F' for a window frame (the corners),
> '<', '^', '>' and 'v' for the top left, top right,
> bottom right or bottom left corner, 'I' for an icon
> window, or '0' through '9' for title-bar buttons,
> or any combination of these letters. 'A' is for
> any context. For instance, a context of "FST"
> applies when the mouse is anywhere in a window's
> border except the title-bar buttons. Only 'S' and
> 'W' are valid for an undecorated window.

Now, read this text: