On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 07:50:51PM -0400, Donald R Laster Jr wrote:

> As I read the comments related to the configuration file parsing maybe the
> initial focus should be on unifying the parsing code itself into a single
> common set of functions or library package first.  As I understand it, from
> the reading the posts on this subject, many of the modules have their own

Modules don't change as part of this; separate problem.

>   So, as a 20+ plus year user of fvwm, who has been doing development for
>   more than 30 years, I would say the first step should be unify the parsing
>   code in FVWM.  I use a fairly simple and straight forward configuration
>   for FVWM.  Then look at ways to improvement the configuration file system
>   itself.

I completely disagree there.  Just that work alone means ripping up a lot of
the internals to put back in-place something which doesn't address the changes
I'm trying to do---namely unify the structure, and for that to happen, I'm
convinced that the syntax also should change, and that's a side-effect, but a
nice one.

>   The approach could be the 2.6.x releases be maintenance of "normal"
>   issues.  And then the primary change for 2.7.x releases would be a unified
>   configuration file parsing system.  I would recommend 2.7.x since from the
>   posts unifying the parsing code appears to be a potential complex
>   undertaking.  Then later 2.7.x releases could support some early desirable
>   configuration file changes.  Or once the 2.7.x parsing code is stable the
>   configuration file improvements could be introduced in later 2.7.x
>   releases, or 2.8.x could have improved configuration files.

No thank you.  I said long ago that there wouldn't be development happening
like that again.  We roll forward, and that's it.  Furthermore, although your
idea might work on a larger project---and more importantly---with more
developers and people looking at the code, this proposal just isn't going to
fly.