On Wed, Apr 25, 2018 at 5:41 PM, hw <h...@adminart.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> how can I prevent fvwm from automatically switching to the desktop page
> where an application like gajim receives a message and activates a
> window (or whatever it does to force this switch)?

It depends on what is causing the switch. This sounds like a window is
setting an UrgencyHint or something similar, and the default in fvwm
is to honor the windows hint and give it focus when it requests it.

Here is some tips on Focus Stealing and ways to deal with them. The
actual solution depends on what the app in question is actually doing.

http://fvwmforums.org/wiki/Tips/FocusStealing/

jaimos