On Wed, 20 Nov 2019, Dr Rainer Woitok wrote:

No idea why you start an application you always want NOT from InitFunction
Simply because I do NOT always want it :-)

of course ... your choice.

I have many things (most, editors and terminals) I do not start at login (these are essentially just browser, mail, plus fvwm-related things like pager, perfmeter etc. ... there is even a network monitor I start at login but I dismiss soon)

I even tried now starting firefox (not my palemoon browser which I left
running) with /usr/bin/firefox & and it went straight to the desktop
designates for browsers (due to the vestigial style).

That's exactly  what I'm  observing here,  too,  and what I simply don't
want.   I want Fvwm NOT to change desktops  when I start  Firefox during
login.  Maybe, I just didn't yet get my point accross ...

No, sorry, I was not clear. It is the browser which goes straight to the desktop designated, but I remain in the primary desktop ! Which I guess is what you'd like. And what I get.

If you start a program using "nohup",  this command ...

I knew about it but it's a long long time since I felt the need to use it.

--
Lucio Chiappetti - INAF/IASF - via Corti 12 - I-20133 Milano (Italy)
"Can you see Enrico Fermi punching a time clock? There are effective