On 7/9/20 7:13 am, elliot s wrote:
> Is there a way to get a precompiled 64 bit version?

64-bit?  MIPS n64 binary compiled on OpenBSD 6.6 cool with you?

To provide a binary that will actually work, we need to know more than
the width of the address bus your CPU uses.

There's AMD64, ARM64, MIPS64, UltraSPARC, PPC64, RISC-V, … and those are
just the currently active platforms that are 64-bit… historically you
can add to that MIPS3/MIPS4, DEC Alpha, HP PA-RISC, Intel IA64… and
probably lots of others I've forgotten about.

Then there's the kernel, Linux is a common choice, but you could also be
running a BSD variant on a 64-bit processor.  Solaris and IRIX both had
64-bit versions.  Recent MacOS X is also 64-bit.

Then there's userland libraries that FVWM might want to link to.  I have
an AMD64 Linux binary for fvwm2 here, but there's no guarantee that
it'll work on your arbitrary AMD64 Linux computer as it was compiled
against what I'm running here.

This is the minefield that one walks into providing binaries.  No
different to any other OS.  Firefox on Windows these days is compiled
for Windows 7 (not sure about Vista): it won't work on Windows XP.  Yes,
you might download a 32-bit version of it, but it was linked against
libraries that are newer than what is available on that OS.  Lots of
applications don't work on my Macbook running MacOS X 10.6 for this reason.

Far and above the safest ways are:
- compile it yourself
- obtain a compiled package from your operating system's distributor

Alternatively: if you could provide some detail on what 64-bit platform
and OS you are running, someone here might be able to provide a binary
package for that OS.

Without that information, we are guessing.
--
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)

I haven't lost my mind...
  ...it's backed up on a tape somewhere.