On 11:26 20 Aug 2002, Rob 'Feztaa' Park <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
| Alas! Jason L Tibbitts III spake thus:
| > Why do you think this list sees so little spam when anyone can post to
| > it?
|
| I have seen a number of lists in which anybody subscribed can post
| without restriction, but messages that come from people who are not
| subscribed are either a) rejected or b) sent to the list admin for
| approval.
|
| Since I've *never* seen a spammer who subscribes to mailing lists just
| to spam them (unless you want to start talking about trolls, but that's
| different), then that method works very well. [...]

As postmaster where I work, I've seen several subscription attempts from
spammers, presumably a prelude to actual spam. Seems to have dropped off -
common a couple of years ago, nothing recently.
--
Cameron Simpson, DoD#743        [EMAIL PROTECTED]    http://www.zip.com.au/~cs/

Did you ever hear anyone say 'that work had better be banned because I might
read it and it might be very damaging to me'?
- Joseph Henry Jackson, American Journalist, 1894-1946