Michael W Thelen writes:

> Smylers wrote:
>
> > I hadn't heard of ["babycart"] before this thread, and I'm a native
> > English speaker.
>
> I haven't heard "baby cart" much either... I would probably say "baby
> carriage" (I'm from the USA).

4 syllables.

> > > With half the number of syllabes, babycart is much faster to say
> >
> > "babycart" is 3 syllables; "shopping trolley" is only 4
>
> In the USA (at least where I'm from), it's called a "shopping cart",
> which is also 3 syllables,

So by replacing "babycart" and "supermarket trolley" with their
respective more-commonly-used synonyms, we've flipped which one has the
fewer syllables.

> and gets 766_000_000 results.  Maybe that's our winner?  Then again, I
> don't know if "shopping cart" sounds strange to non-American speakers.

I don't think a physical shop in England would use the term, but there
are so many websites that do that the term is familiar and understood
over here.

"shopping cart operator" certainly gets my vote.

Smylers