on 14/01/04 19:34, gwallace at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I had a 2 kernal panics in the past few days on my G4 iBook.  When I
> ran fsck the second time, I never got the "appears to be ok" comment
> (kept getting "file system modified" ).  I tried using the disk repair
> on the install disk, but even though it says it's repaired, if I run
> the  verify again, I get "needs to be repaired" message every time.
> 
> In single user mode, the message that seems to indicate the problem is
> 
> overlapped extent allocation (file 257231d)
> overlapped extent allocation (file 258635d)
> 
> then after the file system modified comment it says
> Localhost:/root# ASC: : rWPM Warning: couldn't find IO Platform Monitor
> 
> My question is, should I be concerned about this, and if so, what do I
> do?  I'm not terribly familiar with UNIX, but I can follow directions.
> I do have the system install disk and wonder if I should reinstall.
> (And how to do that without messing up my other files).   Thanks.
>

Any disk problem can become serious at some point. In cases like this, I
usually backup the files I want to keep and then just erase and re-install
the system. That's almost the only safe way to get rid of the problem.

I've heard good things about DiskWarrior, but I haven't used it myself.

-Laurent.
-- 
============================================================================
Laurent Daudelin   AIM/iChat: LaurentDaudelin    <http://nemesys.dyndns.org>
Logiciels Nemesys Software               mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

code police n.: [by analogy with George Orwell's `thought police'] A
mythical team of Gestapo-like storm troopers that might burst into one's
office and arrest one for violating programming style rules. May be used
either seriously, to underline a claim that a particular style violation is
dangerous, or ironically, to suggest that the practice under discussion is
condemned mainly by anal-retentive weenies. "Dike out that goto or the code
police will get you!" The ironic usage is perhaps more common. 


-- 
G-Books is sponsored by <http://lowendmac.com/> and...

 Small Dog Electronics    http://www.smalldog.com  | Refurbished Drives |
 -- Check our web site for refurbished PowerBooks  |  & CDRWs on Sale!  |

      Support Low End Mac <http://lowendmac.com/lists/support.html>

G-Books list info:      <http://lowendmac.com/lists/g-books.html>
  --> AOL users, remove "mailto:";
Send list messages to:  <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To unsubscribe, email:  <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
For digest mode, email: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subscription questions: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Archive: <http://www.mail-archive.com/g-books%40mail.maclaunch.com/>



---------------------------------------------------------------
>The Think Different Store
http://www.ThinkDifferentStore.com
---------------------------------------------------------------


Reply via email to