On Sep 2, 2008, at 1:40 PM, diane wrote:

> I am looking to increase hard drive space in my G4 1.42DP
>
> Any thoughts on brands? I may go up to a full terrabyte, they are not
> that expensive all things considered.

No matter what drive manufacturer is mentioned, someone will swear at
it, and someone else will swear by it.

Personally, I am partial to Seagates, but being a true LEMer, price
is the key when I need (or want more) storage. I just check
dealmac.com for the best prices and make sure I buy a new (not a pull
or remaufactured) drive from a vendor I trust like newegg.com.

> Or do I just get 2 500's and use one as a backup (my current backups
> are external and are 160 & 320)

Depends what your storage needs are and what OS. If 500GB is enough I
would consider the 2 500s.

Are you running 10.5? If so I would consider the following:

1x500 as a main drive

the 500 and the 320 external striped together as 1 logical drive to
use as a time machine backup drive. Your time machine backup will
always be larger than your real drive, so you need more space there
than your main drive

The 160 as an absolute live System, important document and
troubleshooting back up.

> I have a friend looking at a G5 as well. The drive bus speed is 1.5
> gb/s. In the larger drives there seem to be more 3.0 gb/s. Will those
> work with a 1.5 card?

Yes, the 3.0 drives will work on a 1.5 card, just a little slower,
and maybe not noticeably based upon what you do.