Bruce

I disagree. I had had a lot of Macs usually older ones with original
drives. In fact I am writing this on a Lombard with a 6GB drive which must
be coming up for 8 years old.

Drives are generally reliable. I have never had a drive die on me, but I
have had drive slowly deteriorate.

I had a 10GB drive which was clicking, popping and clunking, but it was
still going.

Back in 1997 I bought a 486 PC with a 502MB Seagate hard drive. My mum had
it as a second drive in her PC until last year and it was still going
strong more than 10 years later.

So brands have a shorter shelf life, or a worse reputation than others but
in general the stories are pretty much the same.

>From my experience, IBM drives have a shorter shelf life, Fujitsu are very
noisy and Seagate are ultra reliable.

Simon

--- http://www.simonroyal.co.uk - Mac news, reviews, guides, upgrades,
hacks and more... - http://www.nmug.org.uk - webmaster for Norwich Mac User
Group - The box said requires Windows XP or better, so I bought an Apple
Mac.

On Sep 2 2008, Bruce Johnson wrote:

On Sep 2, 2008, at 1:10 PM, Steve R wrote:

> At 7:16 PM +0100 9/2/08, Simon Royal posted:
>> Hi
>>
>> I would stay away from Fujitsu, while they work great they are very
>> noisy.
>
> I bought a 20GB Fujitsu back when 20GB was considered big
> (2000/2001?). It failed within a month, very suddenly without
> warning. They sent me another one that failed within 2 months, then
> another that last less than a month. The stickers indicated different
> manufactured dates. I started watching my regular shopping sites and
> within a month of the third drive dying, no one was even listing the
> drives.

Failure prone model lines and specific models are nothing new, and
happen all the time (remember the IBM 'DeathStar' line?) however the
major manufacturers make good quality products most all of the time.

People trash and praise the same brands, there's much folklore out
there.

The problem is twofold:

1) Drive failure is actually a rare enough occurrence that 99.999% of
those opinions out there are purely anecdotal, and the plural of
anecdote is not data.

2) HDD's are a commodity product today. Companies do sell server-grade
drives, and they're priced accordingly. So you do get what you pay
for. Be aware, though, that server-grade drives tend to run hotter and
noiser than workstation-grade ones.

Fundamentally, however, the lesson here is not "Which drive is the
best" but "How robust is your backup strategy?"