On Sep 6, 2008, at 11:21 AM, Dana Collins wrote:

> Greetings all,
> I know this topic elicited much response/discussion in the past, but
> now I have reasons to pay attention. I seem to recall that there was a
> hack developed that removed the hardware restriction dictated by an
> install of Leopard (on a machine that was less than the required
> G4/867MHz or that had a 3rd party PU upgrade),

If you have a processor card upgrade, greater than 800MHz, the hack
is not required.

This was pulled from the Low End Mac site and posted to the list on
12/6/2007:

I don't want to steal Dan, the List Mom's, thunder, but I had to post
this.

Dan just posted on the Low End Mac site instructions for an easy hack
to get Leopard to install on unsupported Macs.

http://lowendmac.com/osx/leopard/openfirmware.html

He posted the link in response to a Leopard on a 9600 with a G4
question, so I do not know if this gets around any other system
checks that Leopard may do, but here it is.

To install Leopard on an "unsupported" G4 clocked under 867 MHz:

1. Reboot your Mac and hold down the Cmd-Opt-O-F keys until you get a
white screen with black text. This is the Open Firmware prompt.

2. Insert the Mac OS X Leopard Install DVD.

3. Type the following lines exactly as shown below into the Open
Firmware prompt. Be mindful of capitalization, spaces, zeros, etc. If
the command is properly typed and understood, Open Firmware will
display "ok" at the end of each line after you hit "return". What
these lines do is set the CPU speed reported by Open Firmware to OS X
as an 867 MHz G4 processor system. They then continue the boot from
the DVD drive.

For single CPUs, use the following three lines:

dev /cpus/PowerPC,[EMAIL PROTECTED]
d# 867000000 encode-int " clock-frequency" property
boot cd:,//:tbxi

For dual CPUs, use the following five lines:

dev /cpus/PowerPC,[EMAIL PROTECTED]
d# 867000000 encode-int " clock-frequency" property
dev /cpus/PowerPC,[EMAIL PROTECTED]
d# 867000000 encode-int " clock-frequency" property
boot cd:,\\:tbxi

4. Continue the install normally.

5. This CPU setting is only in effect until the Mac reboots. Once OS
X Leopard is installed and your Mac has rebooted, the proper CPU
speed should once again be displayed when you select About This Mac
under the Apple menu

Thanks for posting this information on the LEM site, Dan.

Len