On Sep 6, 11:27 am, Len Gerstel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Sep 6, 2008, at 11:21 AM, Dana Collins wrote:
>

> > Greetings all,
> > I know this topic elicited much response/discussion in the past, but
> > now I have reasons to pay attention. I seem to recall that there was a
> > hack developed that removed the hardware restriction dictated by an
> > install of Leopard (on a machine that was less than the required
> > G4/867MHz or that had a 3rd party PU upgrade),
>
> If you have a processor card upgrade, greater than 800MHz, the hack
> is not required.
>
> This was pulled from the Low End Mac site and posted to the list on
> 12/6/2007:
>
> I don't want to steal Dan, the List Mom's, thunder, but I had to post
> this.
>
> Dan just posted on the Low End Mac site instructions for an easy hack
> to get Leopard to install on unsupported Macs.
>
> http://lowendmac.com/osx/leopard/openfirmware.html
>
> He posted the link in response to a Leopard on a 9600 with a G4
> question, so I do not know if this gets around any other system
> checks that Leopard may do, but here it is.
>
> To install Leopard on an "unsupported" G4 clocked under 867 MHz:
>
> 1. Reboot your Mac and hold down the Cmd-Opt-O-F keys until you get a
> white screen with black text. This is the Open Firmware prompt.
>
> 2. Insert the Mac OS X Leopard Install DVD.
>
> 3. Type the following lines exactly as shown below into the Open
> Firmware prompt. Be mindful of capitalization, spaces, zeros, etc. If
> the command is properly typed and understood, Open Firmware will
> display "ok" at the end of each line after you hit "return". What
> these lines do is set the CPU speed reported by Open Firmware to OS X
> as an 867 MHz G4 processor system. They then continue the boot from
> the DVD drive.
>
> For single CPUs, use the following three lines:
>
> dev /cpus/PowerPC,[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> d# 867000000 encode-int " clock-frequency" property
> boot cd:,//:tbxi
>
> For dual CPUs, use the following five lines:
>
> dev /cpus/PowerPC,[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> d# 867000000 encode-int " clock-frequency" property
> dev /cpus/PowerPC,[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> d# 867000000 encode-int " clock-frequency" property
> boot cd:,\\:tbxi
>
> 4. Continue the install normally.
>
> 5. This CPU setting is only in effect until the Mac reboots. Once OS
> X Leopard is installed and your Mac has rebooted, the proper CPU
> speed should once again be displayed when you select About This Mac
> under the Apple menu
>
> Thanks for posting this information on the LEM site, Dan.
>
> Len

Hello Len,
Thank you for the thorough post. And thanks to all others contributing
also. I found the same article (excellent, generous contribution by
Dan, agreed), and thanks to Fabian found the LeopardAssist.

To clarify, this was the first experiment/attempt at booting Leopard
and what I anticipated was an unsupported machine. Hence, i may have
more success on my other upgraded G4s. This unit in question is a G4
Yikes (PCI Graphics) being run by a Sonnet Encore ZIF G4/1GHz CPU w/
1Gig RAM. When I boot off of the Install DVD, I get nothing but a dark
screen, which, if left alone, will eventually be ignored and the unit
will boot into its normal OS Tiger operating system. I suspect that,
for reasons other than the CPU concern, this machine may not be
supported (for this reason, your comment "> If you have a processor
card upgrade, greater than 800MHz, the hack
> is not required" I found most interesting.
My other machines are a Sawtooth with a G4/1GHz upgrade, and a DA with
a G4 1.5GHz upgrade - I suspect these machines will be more successful
and compatible with Leopard anyway.
Thank you much,
Dana