On Sep 13, 2008, at 1:31 AM, Carl Nygren wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I was going to log on to PayPal now, but a site popped up asking for
> name, address, credit card number, CVV2, date of credit card expiry,
> bank account info, and Social Security Number.
>
> What bothers me is a) Why would PayPal ask for this, and b) I live in
> Sweden and I am a Swedish citizen. :)
> I do not have a Social Security Number - since I do not live in the
> US.
>
> I did not submit any info at all.
> I did however send an email to PayPal asking how exactly they are
> expecting me to fill out this form.
> I've had to deal with their stupid tech support earlier and made it
> very clear that I am not a citizen or resident of the United States,
> that I have no such thing as a SSN, and that I am concerned about
> this. What if it is a scam?
> I submitted the email under the category "Password Problem" which was
> the most related category I could find.
>
> So what I'm trying to ask here is: has anyone else outside the States
> run into this?
> Is it a scam or is PayPal going nuts?
>
> I know this is not related to Macs, but I figured I'd ask the smartest
> list first :)
>
> So Listers - what do you think of this?
>
> Carl

Sounds like a phishing site. Did you type in https://www.paypal.com in
your browser? If not, what did the address in your browser bar say?

The phishers are getting more ingenious nowadays. They are setting up
their sites so that the links for support and etc all lead to the real
paypal site so you get a warm fuzzy feeling and click the back button
to go back top their site instead of continuing on on the real site.

Just remember, anytime you are asked for any important information,
make sure you know what site you are on, and that you are where you
are supposed to be and not at www.paypal,com.support.help.cn, which
would be a  phishing site registered in China.

MacLife has a 6 page article in the current issue about Mac security,
and my favorite quote is from a bigwig at Symantec. I am rewording it
completely to use what I tell people all the time, and while he was
talking about all personal computers, it really applies to Macs with
their very minimal amount of malware in the wild.

The main security threat nowadays is the PEBKAC virus. PEBKAC- Problem
Exists Between Keyboard And Chair.

In other words, things like entering information on a phishing site,
responding to the money laundering scams, or responding yes to install
the "special" video codec to watch the latest Brittany and JLo  romp
all need approval from the user, and these are what gets you in trouble.

Len