On Sep 23, 2008, at 12:00 PM, diane wrote:

> A few weeks ago we talked about larger drives and SATA cards in my G4
> 1.42DP, 2gb ram
>
> I have a 120gb in there now and was thinking about 2 500's (to mirror
> or something). I was going to go to SATA for upwards compatibility.
>
> The question is, just how much will this slow the machine down?

Not having experience with mirroring on a day to day machine (but all
my servers have mirrored drives) this is just an fairly educated guess.

First of all, a single 500GB (or larger) SATA drive on a sata card is
definitely going to be faster and speed up your system compared to
the 120GB drive you have now. I have a 120GB on the internal ATA and
a 500GB on a SATA card on my DA.

The slowdown will come from the mirroring. How much depends on
whether you let Mac OS handle it (slower, but cheaper) or buy a SATA
card that does hardware mirroring (faster with just a little
performance hit, but more expensive).

My thought to save marriage points:

Put a 500GB (or 750GB) inside on a SATA card and get an external NAS
drive as shared storage and for any of your older projects that can
be moved to slower storage.

Len