On Nov 8, 4:57 pm, Kris Tilford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >> On Sat, Nov 8, 2008 at 12:25 AM, aechmea <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >> wrote:
>
> >> Sorry Jim and others, I wasnt clear enough.  My iMac is actually a G4
> >> - the LCD on a stick in the half snowball.  I have a feeling that
> >> 10.5
> >> will work since it's a G4.  But will 10.5 actually work nicely or
> >> just
> >> plod along.
>
> On Nov 7, 2008, at 11:47 PM, Marty Levine replied:
>
> > Im running 10.5 on an eMac 700 right now and normaly on a 450mhz
> > sawtooth.  Its not a speed demon but its useable.  Tiger might be
> > faster though.
>
> I just posted results of downgrading a 1.67 GHz G4 PowerBook from
> 10.5.5 to 10.4.11. There was about a 20% speed increase across the
> board for 10.4.11. This is a noticeable amount of speed and Tiger
> seemed much quicker. I don't think that Leopard offers anything worth
> a 20% speed hit. Your iMac won't support Core Image or Core Animation,
> so that basically leaves Spaces & Stacks (both just eye candy), and
> Time Machine (buggy and doesn't seem reliable). I've got Macs running
> both Leopard and Tiger, I'd stick with Tiger on you G4 iMac.

OK, thats good. I didnt particularly want Leopard on the iMac, but I
just happened to have a retail DVD and a nonspecific one, so it would
have been a no-cost solution.

The 3 Tigers that I have would appear by their label to be machine
specific.  Maybe the "G5" one would have a chance of installing on the
iMac, but I doubt that the Macbook or the Intel versions would work.
Looks like I need to search for a retail Tiger.