> On Nov 7, 2008, at 9:25 PM, aechmea wrote:
>

>> Sorry Jim and others, I wasnt clear enough.  My iMac is actually a G4
>> - the LCD on a stick in the half snowball.  I have a feeling that
>> 10.5
>> will work since it's a G4.  But will 10.5 actually work nicely or
>> just
>> plod along.

Assuming that your iMac is still 700 Mhz, but a G4 instead of a G3,
10.4 will run quite snappily on it with the 640 MB RAM you say it has.
But only the 1 GHz and higher G4 iMacs will run 10.5 without needing
help since Apple's Leopard threshold is G4 at 867 MHz. (Low End Mac
has the information on installing Leopard on unsupported Macs.)

But if you go ahead and manage to get Leopard installed on your G4/700
iMac, it will pretty much stumble along at 700 MHz. More RAM will
help. So will a 7200 rpm hard drive, if it's got an original 5400 rpm
hard drive. Even then, you will find that the 32 MB NVidia video chip
doesn't have enough wherewithal to do full justice to Leopard.

Install 10.5, if only to prove it can be done, but be prepared to be
disappointed with its performance on your iMac. Tiger is a perfect
match for your machine.

-- Jim Scott