dc writes,

<First off, you can't swap a drive from a beige G3 into a G4 an expect
it to boot; it won't have the proper drivers/extensions for a G4. It
doesn't mean there was anything wrong with the hard drive.
You didn't really get a good "clean install" because your Mac found an
old printer you no longer use. The System folder was replaced but
other info (like printer preferences) remained. Make sure you have
back up copies of all your applications, games, documents, etc. To get
a really fresh clean install use your OS X Disk Utility to reformat
the 20 GB hard drive using the option "write zeroes"; make sure to use
the option to install OS 9 drivers. Everything on the drive will be
erased. Then use your OS 9 CD, it will modify the drivers and install
OS 9.2.2>

Actually,  this "nuke and pave the 20 GB HD" approach did occur to me,
although only as a last resort. However, now that you explain it this way
(makes sense) -- as soon as I can get my G4 to spit out that CD/I restore
my ability to boot in Tiger, yeah, looks like "nuke and pave" is really
the best way to go, and that's what I'll do.

However, I'm not totally clear on this part:

<Since you have 20 GB to play with you might consider splitting this
drive into 2 partitions and installing duplicate OS 9.2.2 systems.
When you are in OS X use System Preferences to designate one of them
as "Classic". OS X will make some alterations, sometimes referred to
as 'blessing' the system. Save the other OS 9 as 'unblessed'. Why?
Some OS 9 applications will not run in Classic mode and you need to
boot into an unblessed system to use them.>

OK, well, I get MOST of this, i.e., some OS 9 apps require straight-up OS
9 (not Classic mode) -- which is why I always wanted my G4 to be able to
boot and run in OS 9. I'm also pretty sure that what you mean by
"blessed" means that you see the little "9" on the OS 9 System Folder,
and I do know the System Folder needs to be blessed in order to boot the
Mac. Side note -- in my total pre-OS X days (OS 7.5.2 through 9.2.2), I
was never able to bless a system folder. I knew you were supposed to
option-drag it to the desktop, and I did, but somehow it didn't work for
me. Anyway, I know about System Preferences being used to designate which
OS 9 system folder to use in order to run Classic, but what I'm not so
sure I get is this:

If I have a deliberately unblessed  OS 9 system folder, how is it going
to be able to boot my Mac in OS 9 when I want it to? If the act of
choosing a system folder in System Preferences to be used for Classic is
what blesses it, why do I need a SECOND unblessed OS 9 system folder
(which won't boot since it's unblessed, and won't be used for Classic if
I don't select it to be used as such in System Preferences)?

Thanks,

~Yersinia.