On Dec 13, 2008, at 10:24 AM, John Callahan wrote:

> On Dec 13, 2008, at 9:26 AM, Chris N wrote:
>
>> Folks,
>>
>> Any input on this would be much appreciated.  I've got a bunch of
>> Macs at home, ranging from a G4 400 (wireless) through a G4 dual
>> 1.25 (wired), G5 iMac (wired), Intel iMac (wireless) and a couple
>> of powerbooks/macbooks.  I have a Comcast cable modem network at
>> home driven by a MaxPower (OWC) draft 802.11n wireless network.
>> For the older macs and powerbooks I have either PCI cards or PCMCIA
>> adapters running the manufacturers software and everything works
>> well (except iTunes video streaming of content that was not
>> directly downloaded fom the iTunes store - this broke quite a few
>> versions ago and was my reasoning for upgrading the network in the
>> first place).  The problem comes when I try to use inbuilt Airport
>> software to access the network.  The WEP passwords are correct, IP
>> addresses are assigned to the machines and the DNS addresses for
>> Comcast are all added.  Sometimes on some machines I can get access
>> to the internet and sometimes I can't.  And sometimes when I have
>> access I randomly lose it.  This isn't machine specific, it is
>> specific to the mode being used to log on, and I'm not having any
>> issue getting an IP address assigned, so I am out of guesses.  Any
>> input would be much appreciated - machines are either running
>> 10.4.11 or 10.5.5 with the latest versions of airport installed.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Chris
>>
>> Chris,
> Don't know if this will help, I had my wireless phone within three
> feet of my base station and whenever I answered it it would interrupt
> the transmission. Had to re-establish each time.

I had a similar issue of my QS dropping the Airlink USB 2 WLAN, WEP
encrypted connection to my Westell 327W Wireless router.

Funny how it never dropped it when it was located away from the
(wireless) telephone base, but began "random" dropouts when it was
moved in line with ...

I could never get the new CCC 3.1.2 (now 3.1.3) to complete a backup
over the wireless network ... so I changed to a wired PCI card by
Rosewill for the QS. My "over the network" backup works fine now.

Will reconsider using my USB 2 Airlink3026 (via WEP encryption) with
this info at hand ... maybe try without WEP as an experiment ... I
thought the device was going bad ... being over a year old ...

Thanks.

Bill Connelly
artsite: http://mysite.verizon.net/moonstoneartstudio
myspace: http://www.myspace.com/moonstoneartstudio