(Yes, Bruce, I know.  But I just couldn't resist).

At 6:12 PM -0600 12/12/2008, Ralph wrote:
>On Fri, 2008-12-12 at 13:50 -0500, Dan wrote:
>>  In the thread " iTunes and duplicating songs", on 12/3/2008, Ralph wrote:
>>  >
>>  >[...] I have no interest in iTunes.  It just does not work well
>>  >enough to merit use.
>>
>  > So what don't you like about iTunes?
>
>iTunes has a bad license.

I think I'll leave good vs bad args for elsewhen.  I'm looking for
on-point tech info here.

>One of the worst aspects to me is how Apple just removes capability
>from iTunes and and there is no recourse.

Specifics?

>iTunes also poorly supports the format of most of my audio collection
>and that is what I mean about it not working well.  I use ogg vorbis for
>most files.  I tested a couple of plugins that added ogg support, but I
>did not think they worked well.

iTunes seems to play my ogg albums quite well, using "Xiph QuickTime
decoders 0.1.8".

What exactly do you mean by "poorly supports the format"?

>  > What app(s) are you using instead?
>
>I have tried several audio programs, and none seem very close to ideal.

What do you consider ideal?

>I am writing my own program and I'll probably move to that in 2009.
>My program is more than a simple player, but that is one niche it
>will fill.

Looking forward to seeing a beta, I guess.

>Most often now a days, I find myself using vlc.

hum.  Never occurred to me to use VLC as an audio player.  Isn't that
about as feature-full as using Finder and QuickTime Player?

- Dan.
--
- Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth