On Dec 16, 2008, at 10:45 AM, Dana Collins wrote:

>> On Dec 15, 2008, at 6:46 PM, Len Gerstel wrote:
>
>>> This is in 10.5, but I am pretty sure it works in 10.4 also.
>
>>> In either list view or column view, select the items you want a list
>
>>> of, right click or control click on one of them and select Copy xxx
>  items.
>
>>> Open a new Text Edit document, make it plain text and paste. It will
>
>>> paste the list of names.
>
>>> Note that if the document is set for Rich Text Format, it will
>>> try and
>
>>> place the actual documents.
> Hmm... Very interesting.
>
> I tried this (in Leopard) as instructed to my list of Application
> names.
> TextEdit made a QuickTime movie out of the entries, not an RTF
> document of
> the entries. What happened?
>
> -Dana

Did you change the document type in TextEdit to plain text before
pasting? Did you have a QT movie in your Application folder?

When I did this by Selecting All (85 items) in my Application Folder
and pasted them into a Plain Text formatted TextEdit document, I got
a list of all 85 Applications and items in that folder.

When I did this with a TextEdit Document that was formatted for Rich
Text Format (you can tell by the formatting options- styles, spacing,
alignment that appear), I get 31 icons, some of them applications,
some generic folders.

Where did the rest go? I don't know and this is subject of another
thread if anyone is wondering.

RTF documents can hold many things, including qt movies, images, etc.

This is in 10.4.11.

Len