At 4:24 PM -0800 1/28/09, starrf...@valley.net posted:
>>  I have a Ximeta 320GB drive that I'm using right now as NAS. Have you
>>  downloaded the most recent NAS Utility 1.8.1/Leopard for it? It used
>>  to be, when I first got it, that it has to be formatted FAT-32 for
>>  NAS and it would only mount on one Mac at a time (and could be
>>  mounted on Windows while mounted on the one Mac) but this most recent
>>  Utility allows it to be formatted Mac, and mounted on more than one
>>  Mac at a time. The read/write on one Mac only still applies. I
>>  regularly mount read/write on one Mac and read on the other. I've
>>  also had a third iBook mounted read only. Don't forget the order --
>>  computer on, NAS on, NAS Utility on the read/write computer to mount,
>>  then the NAS Utility on the read computer to mount. To unmount the
>>  drive, it has to be Ejected first and then Unmounted through the NAS
>>  Utility on each computer.
>>
>>  Support/Downloads/MacOS
>>  <http://www.ximeta.com/web/>
>>
>>  Steve R
>
>  Yes, I have the latest software.  I think what you describe works here
>  but it is very tedious.  What I like about the drive is that it just
>  appears on the MacBook when I open it.  Simple and easy.  So it really
>  works for me and if I need it on the G4 I can just go USB since it
>  lives on the same desk.  I just hope they find a way to make it RW for
>  everything on the network.   We'll see what they say if/when they
>  respond to my inquiry.

Assuming you can network between computers on the LAN, I'm wondering
if maybe a script could be written that would change the read/write
on A computer when you are wanting read/write on B computer? I'm not
a scripter, never tried Automator and I'm wondering if the app that
Bruce posted earlier this week (and another lister's BF wrote for WoW
use) could be used to put a GUI to the script?

Steve R
--
                Reopen NAFTA. Reclaim our sovereignty.
   <http://www.straightgoods.ca/ViewFeature8.cfm?REF=333>