At 4:26 PM -0700 1/28/09, Bruce Johnson posted:
>  I just got a VOX NM1 enclosure only, from Geeks.com for $24, another
>  $70 for a 500G drive and I had a NAS system up and running pretty
>  quickly.
>
>  <http://www.voxproducts.com/mn1.php>
>
>  Geeks doesn't seem to have it anymore.
>
>  It's strictly a SMB file server, but I've been able to connect
>  multiple macs to it simultaneously.
>
>  Documentation is full of the usual Chinese-to-English through the
>  'Fish stragenesses, but they give equal weight to both Macs and PC's,
>  wonder of wonders.
>
>  It doesn't always show up in the network browser, for some reason, not
>  sure where the problem lies, but since I gave it a fixed address on my
>  cable router, I can mount the volume, drag it to start-up items in
>  accounts and it comes right up.

Bruce, since you worked with a Chinese manual.... ;-)  Things were
going along well last night, I was able to access via Finder/Server
having set a few users/Group, then I lost connection and wasn't able
to connect from that point onwards. One of the first things I had
already done was given it a fixed IP, and the router continues to see
it's there. I'm pretty sure it's because I hadn't had a chance to map
the drive (if that's necessary with OS X) so I went searching for a
trial/free solution to run their Windows-based software to finish the
installation, which dragged into the night. So back to restart both
computer and NAS but still I can't seem to access via smb or see the
drive at all. Everything offered by websites is based on seeing the
drive to get it to mount. Any thoughts? Find a PC friend to finish
the installation?

Steve R