At 9:39 AM -0700 1/29/09, Bruce Johnson posted:
>  On Jan 29, 2009, at 8:50 AM, Steve R wrote:
>

>>  At 4:26 PM -0700 1/28/09, Bruce Johnson posted:
>>>  I just got a VOX NM1 enclosure only, from Geeks.com for $24, another
>>>  $70 for a 500G drive and I had a NAS system up and running pretty
>>>  quickly.
>>>
>>>  <http://www.voxproducts.com/mn1.php>
>>>
>>>  Geeks doesn't seem to have it anymore.
>>>
>>>  It's strictly a SMB file server, but I've been able to connect
>>>  multiple macs to it simultaneously.
>>>
>>>  Documentation is full of the usual Chinese-to-English through the
>>>  'Fish stragenesses, but they give equal weight to both Macs and PC's,
>>>  wonder of wonders.
>>>
>>>  It doesn't always show up in the network browser, for some reason,
>>>  not
>>>  sure where the problem lies, but since I gave it a fixed address on
>>>  my
>>>  cable router, I can mount the volume, drag it to start-up items in
>>>  accounts and it comes right up.
>>

>>  Bruce, since you worked with a Chinese manual.... ;-)  Things were
>>  going along well last night, I was able to access via Finder/Server
>>  having set a few users/Group, then I lost connection and wasn't able
>>  to connect from that point onwards.
>
>  Are you using the DLink one?
>
>  I don't know...mine was accessible via a web browser, and once I
>  figured out the rather sparse interface (see all that time spent on
>  the puzzles in Myst did pay off!) it was pretty straight forward. I
>  had to format the drive, then create a shared folder on it. This
>  appears to the Mac (using a smb:// mount in finder) as a network volume.
>
>  IN the web interface I had the ability to add passwords and user
>  names, etc, no need to in my case.
>
>  The DLink looks like it has a web-based setup, too. What happens when
>  you point your web browser at the IP address you've given it?
>
>  In my case when I first plugged mine in, I had to get to the interface
>  for my wireless router, which is providing DHCP for my home LAN to
>  find connected devices. The Vox is named(by default) something like
>  Store-NNNN where NNNN is the last four bytes of the MAC address which
>  is printed on the sticker on the bottom according to the manual.
>  Fortunately, I know what's on my network, because the sticker wasn't
>  there!)
>
>  Once I identified the device on the router, I went to that address in
>  my web browser, and set a fixed IP address in the interface on the VOX
>  (see your router documentation to see how this is done. On my Netgear
>  router, you enter each device with an IP somewhere in the devices
>  address range, in others, Linksys I know for sure, there is a range of
>  addresses reserved for fixed IP addresses, and you have to keep track
>  of them.)
>
>  Then as I said, I formatted the drive, created a shared folder, and
>  that was all I needed to make it visible on the Mac; I didn't add any
>  user mapping stuff.
>
>  What I would do is reset it to the factory defaults. On the Vox,
> [...]

I've been at this most of the day and into the night, resetting
several times, reformatting twice and although I can get into the
D-Link interface same as yesterday, I still can't get the drive to
mount to create shared folders. It came up in Finder and each time I
clicked on it, it disappeared again. I'm going to resort to having my
PC friend use the Easy Find Application on his computer to set up
sharing, and hope I don't have to install Windows to maintain the
drive. It's a nice enclosure, quiet as a mouse, with pretty blue
lights so I'm willing to live with a little formatting problem  ;-)

Steve R