As a follow up, DiskWarrior did repair the problems.  With the 80 GB
external, it was able to go through the entire process of replacing the disk
directory, but had an error at the end clearing the journal and told me to
contact tech support.  I restarted and ran disk utility, verified and
repaired and it mounted fine.  I ran DiskWarrior again on the drive and it
had one item that it fixed and so far so good.

Thanks for your help Wallace and Joe.