Herein lies the problem:  I can't get the G4 to see the Beige's hard drive.

Care to elaborate on the jumper settings?
Both drives are made by Quantum.

In the G4, the Quantum is jumped to MASTER.
The Beige's Quantum is set the same when I use it with the Beige...I
tried setting it as a SLAVE when I put it in the G4.  I also tried
setting it a MASTER and removing the G4's hard drive.
I installed 10.4 onto the G4. (10.4.11)
The Beige's hard drive has 10.4.11 also, but I have XPostFacto installed.

Anyway, thanks for your suggestions and taking the time to write back.

Larry

You wrote:
But the opposite may work - install OS X on your G4, then add your
targeted HD as a slave to the new arrangement. As has been mentioned,
jumper settings would need changing, as well as cable location, which
may not have been a concern (you don't mention the original
arrangements' details, Lawrence) on the beige.
Once you get the G4 running, you'll enjoy the speed bump in the bus
and the increased video speed.
Best regards,
Dana