From: joe <j...@joethejuggler.com>
Subject: HD problems--advice sought
To: g3-5-list@googlegroups.com
Date: Monday, March 9, 2009, 11:16 AM

I'm got a G4 AGP with plenty of RAM (1.5 gig because I lent a 512 mg stick to
another computer), 1.4 GHz cpu, running up-to-date Tiger (10.4.11)
I've got two HDs inside on the regular IDE HD bus.  Both are over-sized and
partitioned thusly:500 (actually 465.76GB) GB drive partition 1 127.88 GB with
the OS on it partition 2 the rest of that drive200 GB (actually 189.92) GB
drive     partition 1 127.86 GB
        partition 2  the rest of that drive

I've also got a 180 GB drive in an external firewire enclosure in two
partitions:       partition 1: 127.88 GB with a relatively good back-up of the
system partition
        partition 2: the rest, with backups of other more-or-less important
stuff

Oh yeah--IIRC, they're all HFS+, journaled.
I've got a slightly out-of-date copy of the FireWire drive on a "loose" HD that
was having some hardware troubles when I retired it.
I use Intech's hi-cap kext to see the oversized partitions of the drives (but
can see just the first partitions when I boot from a disk).
My problem is this:
That first partition on the big internal drive, the one with the OS on it, is
messed up--not hardware.  Once in a while it fails to mount, as if it's got a
corrupted directory file.
However, when I run DiskWarrior, it spends some 12 hours or so working on it,
and then finally fails.  I've booted from the firewire drive and run Disk
Utility's repair disk on the drive--it identifies a ton of overlapped files,
but finally fails.
Usually, just trying again (restarting from the firewire or even from a disk)
gets it to mount again. When I try to do a full back-up of the problem drive,
it understandably fails.  When I do an incremental back-up, it usually fails,
but at least not until after it's backed up everything that seems to matter to
me.
Any idea how I should go about fixing stuff?
Are there other 3rd party disk repair apps that don't rely on the same thing in
my system that seems to be failing (fsck_hfs)?
I'm thinking I may just get a 140 GB drive and just use the first 127.88 GB as
my system drive from now on.  (That way I can deal with just that one partition
and nothing else on that drive.)  I imagine I can clone from my FW back-up.
After I've got that working, I suppose I can erase that problematic partition
to re-use it.  Since the problem is overlapping files and a corrupted disk
directory, just a simple erase should make that partition usable again, right?
If not, I can't re-format just that partition somehow--leaving the larger
partition on that drive untouched?
Joe
 ============================== Joe the Juggler 4148 Wyoming St.        St.
Louis, MO 63116     (314) 771-3243