I'm got a G4 AGP with plenty of RAM (1.5 gig because I lent a 512 mg
stick to another computer), 1.4 GHz cpu, running up-to-date Tiger
(10.4.11)

I've got two HDs inside on the regular IDE HD bus.  Both are over-
sized and partitioned thusly:
500 (actually 465.76GB) GB drive
        partition 1 127.88 GB with the OS on it
        partition 2 the rest of that drive
200 GB (actually 189.92) GB drive
        partition 1 127.86 GB
        partition 2  the rest of that drive

I've also got a 180 GB drive in an external firewire enclosure in two
partitions:
        partition 1: 127.88 GB with a relatively good back-up of the system
partition
        partition 2: the rest, with backups of other more-or-less important
stuff

Oh yeah--IIRC, they're all HFS+, journaled.

I've got a slightly out-of-date copy of the FireWire drive on a
"loose" HD that was having some hardware troubles when I retired it.

I use Intech's hi-cap kext to see the oversized partitions of the
drives (but can see just the first partitions when I boot from a disk).

My problem is this:

That first partition on the big internal drive, the one with the OS
on it, is messed up--not hardware.  Once in a while it fails to
mount, as if it's got a corrupted directory file.

However, when I run DiskWarrior, it spends some 12 hours or so
working on it, and then finally fails.  I've booted from the firewire
drive and run Disk Utility's repair disk on the drive--it identifies
a ton of overlapped files, but finally fails.

Usually, just trying again (restarting from the firewire or even from
a disk) gets it to mount again. When I try to do a full back-up of
the problem drive, it understandably fails.  When I do an incremental
back-up, it usually fails, but at least not until after it's backed
up everything that seems to matter to me.

Any idea how I should go about fixing stuff?

Are there other 3rd party disk repair apps that don't rely on the
same thing in my system that seems to be failing (fsck_hfs)?

I'm thinking I may just get a 140 GB drive and just use the first
127.88 GB as my system drive from now on.  (That way I can deal with
just that one partition and nothing else on that drive.)  I imagine I
can clone from my FW back-up.  After I've got that working, I suppose
I can erase that problematic partition to re-use it.  Since the
problem is overlapping files and a corrupted disk directory, just a
simple erase should make that partition usable again, right?  If not,
I can't re-format just that partition somehow--leaving the larger
partition on that drive untouched?

Joe

        Joe the Juggler
        4148 Wyoming St.