On May 9, 2009, at 9:29 AM, DKline wrote:

> My system now has a stock Rage128 Pro Graphics card which is very slow
> at displaying screens.  What upgrade cards are available AGP and would
> it significantly accelerate displaying

Yes, a faster card would help some. There are many ATI Radeons-7000,
9000, 9600, 9800 and some NVidia GeForces 2Mx, 4Mx 4Ti and 5200, some
of which are hacked from G5s to work in G4s. I am running 2 of the
hacked cards in my DAs without problems.

There are also a variety of flashed pc cards that work, but some have
sleep issues.

A faster card will help with all screen display chores, redrawing
finder windows, scrolling, displaying multiple windows at one time,
etc. It is noticeable if you are looking for it.

FWIW, my monitor (an older 21" CRT) will not start up OCCASIONALLY
when I start up my Mac with it plugged into a hacked AGP 9600. For
these times I also have a 16Mb PCI Rage installed. If I am doing my
normal workload (light office tasks with way too many icons on the
desktop and windows open), I have to pay attention to realize if I
have switched back to the 9600. Where it really shows up is screen
redraws (opening/closing windows, switching apps) and almost not
noticeable for displaying web pages, typing a letter and small
photoshop chores.

> and downloading things on the
> internet.

It will not help with downloading. That is purely a factor of the
speed of your connection. It will help SOME with the rendering of web
pages on your screen, but not much.

> It's VRAM is only 16mb so I'm assuming it's creating a
> bootleneck to the entire system.  Thanks DKline

The bottleneck is for displaying info. It will not speed up you
connection, but overall things will be snappier.

Len