At 2:43 PM -0500 5/11/09, joe wrote:
>On May 11, 2009, at 12:24 PM, Dan wrote:
>  > Let's be clear here.  Apple's licensing is VERY specific.
>>  <http://www.apple.com/legal/sla/>
>
>Some years ago, I bought Jaguar install disks via e-bay.  As it turns
>out, they were home-made copies with paper labels on them.  I
>complained to the seller first, who said he thought they were
>legitimate since he didn't make them himself, but bought 100 sets of
>them from someone else.    I complained to e-bay and Apple.  Neither
>one responded to any of my e-mails, and the guy was still selling
>software on e-bay at least a year later.

For the most part, Apple doesn't seem to be into the whole
RIAA/MPAA-style customer hatred power trip.  eg: They seem to ignore
the small guys, who do the gray market stuff such as selling pulled
media on venues like eBay and LEM Swap.  But the anti-piracy climate
of today is a far cry from yesterday's.  Betcha if they were shown
someone like that today, producing 100+ copies of the shipping OS,
they'd nail 'em.

>So. .  . Apple doesn't seem at all interested in protecting their
>license.  (Oh yeah, this was when Jaguar was still being sold in the
>stores, I should have mentioned.)  After all, they let such a
>flagrant violator (not even an anonymous pirate, but an e-bay seller)
>get away with it.

Slippery slope.  Just because the cop lets that other guy go speeding
by is NOT justification for you to speed.

- Dan.
--
- Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth