On May 13, 2009, at 5:39 PM, Mac G4 wrote:

> My problem is when I go to system pref's on the Mac and click
> sharing, share from USB to Ethernet it seems to be setting my
> ethernet port IP to 169.254.246.111 and a subnet to 255.255.0.0
> based on what the profiler says.  I think this is my issue as I
> would expect (based on windows experience) that it should be
> 192.168.0.1 and 255.255.255.0 respectively - but I am not sure.

Well either range is 'correct'; both are non-routed IP addresses,
meaning they're reserved for private use.

There are several such ranges:

<http://www.jpsdomain.org/networking/nat.html>

169.n.n.n is the range that is used by devices asking for a DHCP
address when a DHCP provider either refuses to pass out an address or
does not answer. This is also the range that Zeroconf (aka Bonjour)
uses <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeroconf>

However, (and it's been a while since I did Internet sharing) ISTR
that Internet sharing uses the 10.n.n.n range. That's what my Netgear
wireless router uses, as well.

In any case, connecting your ethernet port to the WAN port on your
router does not work?

Can you connect another computer to the ethernet port on the Mac in
question and see if it gets an IP address from your Mac?

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona