<http://monolingual.sourceforge.net/>

> I’m asking this because sometimes I feel a little squeezed on a 7.7GB
> partition (I’ve got a Beige G3).

You don't need to be squeezed onto that tiny 7.7GB partition. Clone
your System over to your largest partition outside the 1st 8GB
partition, but still within the 128GB limit. If your HD is larger that
128GB you can also use the whole thing, but you need to either use the
Intech Hi-Cap extension or do the LBA48 open firmware hack.

Once you've cloned your OS onto the larger partition, use XPostFacto
4.0 and select the larger partition OS at the boot System, and any
partition within the 1st 8 GB as the "helper disk" and you can now
boot from the big partition. The "helper disk" partition can be small,
as little as perhaps 100MB, but if you don't have a small dedicated
"helper" partition, you can also just use your 7.7GB partition as the
"helper".

You should always boot the largest available partition.

My Beige has a 160GB HD partitioned as 1GB, 7GB (both within the 1st
8GB), 112GB (at the EXACT 128GB limit of 131,072MB) and the remaining
22GB outside the 128GB limit. I have OS 9.1 on the 1GB partition which
I also use as the "helper" to boot OS 10.4.11 from the largest 112GB
partition. I also have OS 10.4.11 on the 7GB partition so I can boot
OS X "directly" without a "helper" as a just-in-case "repair volume"
that has DiskWarrior and other utilities for fixing the large
partition should anything go wrong. I use the 22GB as storage space
only.

For many years I booted from Firewire external HDs on the Beige using
the XPF Helper Disk boot method. This has the advantage of being able
to use large HDs without the 1st 8GB limit. I booted a 250GB Firewire
external HD regularly until I needed it for my Mini. If you need a
larger HD to boot from, I'd recommend booting from an external
Firewire HD using the Helper Disk boot method.