>Booting into Open Firmware should NEVER be taken as a good sign or
>something to be just gotten around.
>
>Try unplugging the SATA drive and see if it boots normally into the 80
>gig drive. If it still goes to OF, remove the SATA card and see what
>happens.
>
>If it still boots onto OF after that, unplug every device but the
>keyboard mouse and monitor, if it STILL boots into OF try a known good
>keyboard and mouse.
>
>At that point if it still boots into OF, remove the PRAM battery,
>press the cuda switch and leave it for a half hour or so.
>
>Press the cuda switch once again and put the PRAM battery back in.
>
>now with just the keyboard/mouse/monitor attached try booting.it
>should go to the flashing question mark..if it does, start adding the
>devices in one at a time.
>
>If it STILL boots into OF at that point, get a new motherboard,
>hope what took it out didn't take down your video and SATA card as
>well...
>
>--
>Bruce Johnson
>University of Arizona
>College of Pharmacy
>Information Technology Group
>
>Institutions do not have opinions, merely customs

Thank you  Bruce.

I got as far as "If it still boots onto OF after that, unplug every
device but the
keyboard mouse and monitor, if it STILL boots into OF try a known good
keyboard and mouse".

Now I have to borrow a known good USB Keyboard.

I should mention that the computer will not shut down or Start from
the Keyboard or from the front panel "ON" button and when I shut down
from the Finder I have to pull the Power Plug and re-insert to start,
which it does on "Plug In".

Also when I "shutdown" from the Finder the front panel light stays
bright until I pull the plug. Sounds as if some Hardware or control
software is broken. Hopefully just corrupted.

I can Restart with the Finder and with  Cntrl-Cmd and Keyboard "ON"
but not from the Front Panel Button.

It was a cloudless day but sort of warm for Everett also it had been
hot for three days previous. So I suppose a transformer overheated
and the blew opening the Mag Current and sending a massive voltage
Spike through the area.

Old saying:  "there is not enough time or money to do it right so
later you have to find the time or money to do it over". :-$ :-(

  Ernie