On Jun 18, 2009, at 11:14 AM, Bruce Johnson wrote:

> Will dead/lack of a PRAM battery keep a Gigabit Ethernet G4 system
> from turning on?

Yep, however ...

> I took the  G4 offline in January, and set it down for 6 months. This
> morning I went to clean it up and get it going, and plugged it all in
> and....not a damn thing happens when I press the power switch. No
> response at all.

... Sometimes I've found that a perfectly sound, sweet-running Mac
will go absolutely dead after sitting for a period of weeks or months,
especially if it's been stored in an unheated room or storage place,
such as a garage. Every time, the battery still had more than 3
volts ... but the power supply is a goner. I've taken apart a few and
could find nothing obviously wrong, other than some "tin whiskers."
Removing as many as I could once or twice, I fergit, revived the PS.
My theory is that humidity does stuff to the innards of power supplies
that renders them dead the first time AC juice is poured back into 'em.

Let's hope yours has only a dead PRAM battery. Got another one you can
swap in?

-- Jim