On Jun 18, 2009, at 12:53 PM, Jim Scott wrote:

> ... Sometimes I've found that a perfectly sound, sweet-running Mac
> will go absolutely dead after sitting for a period of weeks or months,
> especially if it's been stored in an unheated room or storage place,
> such as a garage.

Nah, this was on the floor of my office in the house, not 15 feet from
where it had been running for years.

> Every time, the battery still had more than 3
> volts ... but the power supply is a goner. I've taken apart a few and
> could find nothing obviously wrong, other than some "tin whiskers."
> Removing as many as I could once or twice, I fergit, revived the PS.
> My theory is that humidity does stuff to the innards of power supplies
> that renders them dead the first time AC juice is poured back into
> 'em.
>
> Let's hope yours has only a dead PRAM battery. Got another one you can
> swap in?

I"ll pick one up later, and I have a couple of boxes in the surplus
pile at work I can swap parts out of to see what's broken.

GigE's take the same PS as a Sawtooth, I'm pretty sure, right?

--
Bruce Johnson

"Wherever you go, there you are" B. Banzai,  PhD