At 2:35 PM -0400 6/19/2009, iJohn wrote:
>On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 2:05 PM, Dan<dantear...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>  At 8:35 PM -0700 6/18/2009, irrational john wrote:
>>  Elaborate please - exactly what isn't working?  I've played with just
>>  about everything in the GMail web interface and it seems to work
>>  quite well with Safari 4.0.
>
>When I use gmail on my MacBook in OSX

What version OS X?

>... which is usually Safari ...

Usually?

>selecting items via the checkbox and then clicking the top delete
>button does nothing. The mail is not deleted.

Which Gmail version, standard or basic HTML?

I have now tried Gmail, both standard and basic versions, in Safari
3.2.1, Safari 4.0, the current WebKit Nightly, and Firefox 3.0.11, on
both Tiger and Leopard.  At no time could I get the Delete button to
fail - the top or bottom one, Inbox, All Mail, or Spam (delete
forever button).

So as I asked in my previous reply... What inputmanagers and plug-ins
do you have installed?

>I think this also happens in Firefox, but I tend not to use Firefox
>as much on the
>MacBook so my memory isn't clear.

Think isn't good enough.  Be specific.  Try it.  You're talking about
a GMail function failing on two totally different platforms
(Safari/WebKit vs Firefox/Gecko), and to be frank, that just doesn't
make sense.

>I never have this problem when I'm working with gmail on
>my Windows desktop

Another problem.  Firefox/Gecko is THE SAME on both Mac and PC.
There is no ActiveX or MS Mutated Java involved - it's just HTML and
EMCAScript (JavaScript).

>Still, maybe I'll give that a try just to see if I notice a difference.

Give specifics please.

>  > What inputmanagers, plug-ins, etc have you installed?
>>  Does the problem still occur when you eliminate them?
>
>What's an input manager?

InputManagers are modules that modify all running applications.  They
live in one of the folders:

   ~/Library/InputManagers/
   /Library/InputMangers/

Plug-ins do the same but are a bit more limited in scope.  They live in:

   ~/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/
   /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/

>Or, to put it another way, I have no input managers or plug-ins that
>I know of.

That doesn't help.  Physically take a look in those four directories.
Tell us what's there.

>I suppose I could try removing/uninstalling Safari in some way and
>then reinstalling it.

PC solutions rarely work on Macs.

>FWIW I also have problems with the cursor disappearing on me. I think
>that's somehow related to how full screen web video is processed. That
>one's been with me for at least two months or longer.

Start a new thread regarding this problem and give full details.

- Dan.
--
- Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth.