On Jun 22, 2009, at 11:50 AM, Bruce Johnson wrote:

> On Jun 22, 2009, at 11:34 AM, MacGuy wrote:
>
>> Well after plugging the 2.5 into the I/O board and the power supply,
>> the 2.5 booted and ran fine. However when the 3.5 drive was used, it
>> wouldn't even mount on the desktop? This icydock enclosure has always
>> given me grief when it was hooked up via USB... it would "unmount"
>> itself after 3 mins or less time plugged/ mounted on the desktop?
>> This
>> must be a power supply issue then... wonder where to get another
>> power
>> supply for it?
>
> Definitely sounds like a power issue, what does the spec on the
> current power supply say? If it's a typical wall wart all you need to
> match are the voltage, the connector size and polarity and provide as
> much or more current.
>
> (ie: if it's 12v 500MA, a 12V 800MA supply will work just fine, but a
> 14V 500MA supply will not.)
>
> That said, 'sounds like a power issue' doesn't mean it's the power
> supply. More than likely it's the IO board in the enclosure.
>
> If it's a built-in power supply, I'd forget about it; get a new
> enclosure. If USB2 is good for you they're cheap
> <http://www.geeks.com/products.asp?cat=CSE

Bruce, it's not a wall wart, it's a Model # saw34-12.0/5.0-2000. I
found a new power supply by calling the Icydock folks... for about 25
bucks plus shipping.. so i'll try that first. Worst case scenario, I'm
out the 25 bucks. I just hate throwing this enclosure away. It's one
of the screw-less ones. Also, I took the I/O board out, gave it a
close look, no burnt places? I know it's a gamble, but here goes....
At least if it is the I/O board, I can chuck it in the trash and solve
that question in my mind, "what's wrong with this stupid thing"? Jeff