On Jun 22, 2009, at 4:55 PM, John Martz wrote:

> Is there a "big" difference between the capacities of the two drives?

2.5" SATA has the very same power and data connectors as all current
3.5" SATA.

2.5" SATA goes to 500 GB.

3.5" SATA goes to 1.5 TB (1500 GB), with 2 TB (2000 GB) being sampled.

As most host SATA buses are supporting 3.0 Gb/s, there is probably no
need for 1.5 Gb/s, or the jumper which forces a drive to 1.5 Gb/s.

The iSATA/eSATA cards for most G series Macs are 1.5 Gb/s, but the
jumper really isn't necessary as the drive and the host will mutually
determine the best speed.

My Initio-based G4 cards (1.5 Gb/s) are perfectly happy with my eSATA
drives which are jumpered for 3.0 Gb/s, and which I use
interchangeably on my Intel Hackintoshes, all of which, even my Intel
Atom Netbook, are 3.0 Gb/s.

http://groups.google.com/group/hq-a <+> A home for the Hackintosh
community.

To subscribe to the HQ-A group, send email to hq-a
+subscr...@googlegroups.com