On Jul 4, 2009, at 5:48 PM, joplinfan wrote:

> I'm getting ready to flash a BFG / Geforce 6200 and a Radeon 9250...
> both standard PCI cards... to use in my MDD G4 1ghz towers. Been
> studying up on the process at The Mac Elite website where it mentions
> that AGP cards require tape to be placed over some of the pins due to
> Apple's non standard AGP configuration... but I can't find any info
> where this would be required for a PCI card. Anyone know?

No taping required for any PCI cards, but PCI cards are really NOT the
way to go. You want an AGP card in your MDD that supports both Quartz
Extreme (QE) and Core Image (CI). No PCI cards support QE & CI without
using PCI Extreme 3.1 and a hacked ROM for CI support. The bandwidth
of PCI is 1/2 AGP. This means any AGPx4 card will have 8x the
available throughput of any PCI card.

If you're using Tiger or Leopard, forget about the PCI cards and get a
nice AGP card. You can flash PC AGP cards if you need cheap.