On Jul 5, 2009, at 2:10 AM, Will S wrote:

> It is possible to flash some PCI cards and have both Quartz Extreme &
> Core Image. No need for PCI extreme or special hacks. I'm running a
> B&W machine upgraded to G4 600 Mhz. It's got a flashed Nvidia 5500 PCI
> card. I'm running Tiger and the Mac OS sees it as a native Mac Graphic
> card with QE & Core Image.

I don't believe this is true. Quartz extreme is excluded on ALL PCI
cards unless the system is "patched", which is something you can do
manually, or by using PCI Extreme. There may be some Mac ROMs for
flashed PC cards that will "enable" Core Image without needing any
other patching, but these ROMs are "hacks" and not anything normal.
I've read that PCI cards which do support Core Image are so slow that
it's basically useless as an effect, so the difference between a PCI
card and an AGP card is night & day. Get the AGP for certain and sell
the PCI cards if you have them to buy the AGP.

Also, I believe the nVidia FX5200/5500 is almost the ONLY PCI card to
support Core Image? Perhaps there's one ATI card also? You can read a
little more about the nVidia PCI cards here, but I don't think this is
a realistic upgrade path if you have a 4x AGP slot available:

<http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/Graphics/Mac_PCI_FX5200/mac_PCI_FX5200.html>

> The other nice thing is the B&W has one
> high speed 2x PCI slot for graphics cards is equal to a 2X AGP slot
> I'm told.

No, this is the equivalent of a 1x AGP slot.