On Jul 4, 10:32 pm, Kris Tilford <ktilfo...@cox.net> wrote:
> On Jul 4, 2009, at 5:48 PM, joplinfan wrote:
>
> > I'm getting ready to flash a BFG / Geforce 6200 and a Radeon 9250...
> > both standard PCI cards... to use in my MDD G4 1ghz towers. Been
> > studying up on the process at The Mac Elite website where it mentions
> > that AGP cards require tape to be placed over some of the pins due to
> > Apple's non standard AGP configuration... but I can't find any info
> > where this would be required for a PCI card. Anyone know?
>
> No taping required for any PCI cards, but PCI cards are really NOT the
> way to go. You want an AGP card in your MDD that supports both Quartz
> Extreme (QE) and Core Image (CI). No PCI cards support QE & CI without
> using PCI Extreme 3.1 and a hacked ROM for CI support. The bandwidth
> of PCI is 1/2 AGP. This means any AGPx4 card will have 8x the
> available throughput of any PCI card.
>
> If you're using Tiger or Leopard, forget about the PCI cards and get a
> nice AGP card. You can flash PC AGP cards if you need cheap.

It is possible to flash some PCI cards and have both Quartz Extreme &
Core Image. No need for PCI extreme or special hacks. I'm running a
B&W machine upgraded to G4 600 Mhz. It's got a flashed Nvidia 5500 PCI
card. I'm running Tiger and the Mac OS sees it as a native Mac Graphic
card with QE & Core Image. The other nice thing is the B&W has one
high speed 2x PCI slot for graphics cards is equal to a 2X AGP slot
I'm told. The Yikes G4 machine may also have this high speed PCI slot.
This is a great solution for the B&W & possible the Yikes machines.
Kris is right an AGP card is a better solution for any machine with an
AGP slot. A number of PCI cards can be flashed and run fine with QE &
CI but are way slower then AGP cards in any machine except the two
with fast PCI slots. I know the 6200 cards are being ran by many
people as well and I seem to remember the 9250 work also. So if you
already have the cards may as well give them a try. Chances are they
will work fine just a bit slower then AGP. Depending on what you are
using your machine for you maybe happy with them. Some PCI slots are
designed slightly different so make sure the card you want to use will
fit in the slot in your machine. As already mentioned no need to tape
PCI cards. The first card I bought didn't fit the slot in my machine.
I had thought that all PCI slots were standard but there are at least
two types. The cards look the same but side by side you will see they
have a slot/space between the pins on the card which is in a different
place for different type slots. There is no marking or name difference
for the different slots as far as I can tell.