>I've just bought a Sonnet Encore G4/500 upgrade for my elderly but
>100% reliable Rev 1 B&W G3/400. (I want to try Mac OS X Server 10.4 on
>it, and this requires a G4 CPU.)
>
>Snag is, when I fit the new chip, the Mac won't boot. I don't get a
>Sad Mac or a crash tone or anything, just 5 short clear beeps from the
>speaker. It sounds much more like a PC error beep than a Mac one!
>
>I power on, it goes BIP BIP BIP BIP BIP and then just sits there.
>
>Replacing the G3, it works fine again.
>
>Any ideas, anyone?

Did you update the firmware on your B&W?  Be sure that you follow
installation directions exactly or the Sonnet will not work.  You
should have gotten a CD from Sonnet when you bought your upgrade.
The CD contains an installer that will upgrade the firmware on your
Mac, and this must be done before you install the Sonnet Encore G4.

Hope this helps.

Larry