> >I've just bought a Sonnet Encore G4/500 upgrade for my elderly but
> >100% reliable Rev 1 B&W G3/400. (I want to try Mac OS X Server 10.4 on
> >it, and this requires a G4 CPU.)
> >
> >Snag is, when I fit the new chip, the Mac won't boot. I don't get a
> >Sad Mac or a crash tone or anything, just 5 short clear beeps from the
> >speaker. It sounds much more like a PC error beep than a Mac one!
>
> Did you update the firmware on your B&W?  Be sure that you follow
> installation directions exactly or the Sonnet will not work.  You
> should have gotten a CD from Sonnet when you bought your upgrade.
> The CD contains an installer that will upgrade the firmware on your
> Mac, and this must be done before you install the Sonnet Encore G4.

Sonnet has downloads of the Firmware Updater Installer and the SonnetCache
Enabler at:
<http://www.sonnettech.com/support/downloads/processorupgradecards.html>

OWC has the Blue & White G4 Enabler at:
<http://eshop.macsales.com/tech_center/software.cfm>

One or the other firmware patches should do the trick. The G4 Enabler needs to
be applied in OS 9, not sure about the Sonnet Updater. --glen