On 8/1/09 2:20 PM, Chance Reecher wrote:
> Have you tried putting it back into the firewire enclosure and seeing
> if it still drops out? That'll tell you if it's the drive or something
> on your motherboard. Have you tested other drives inside the computer
> on the same ATA bus as the 750 that is dropping out?
>
> On Sat, Aug 1, 2009 at 3:24 PM, Bill Connelly<billycarm...@verizon.net>
> wrote:
>
>> In my QS 2002 Dual 1GHz under 10.5.7, my "750GB Seagate PATA is
>> Dropping Out Again".
>>
>> Details of drive:
>>
>> ST3750640A
>> 7200.10
>> 750GB
>> Master setting and on last black connector of cable.
>>
>> Had this issue before ... wondering if its time to get a replacement
>> from Seagate? Its only a year old, with very low use. Used it as an
>> external FW drive, but reformatted and cloned all partitions back
>> awhile ago for use as an internal drive.
>>
>> I've replaced the mobo awhile ago as well, and just switched in the
>> Apple supplied ATA cable from another Mac, thinking it is a defective
>> cable.
>>
>> New RAM tests OK.
>>
>> I hear a definitive "multi/single-click", like either the DVD RW and/
>> or Zip Drive is shutting down, then I get a spinning beach ball ...
>> then the QS just freezes at that point, or continues to spin the beach
>> ball.

Bill I'm very familiar with this multi/single click on my Dell. First I
thought it was heat. But I went in there and moved drives around;
changed jumpers is what I mean by that. Try putting the HD on its on bus
and see what happens. I also thought my machine was short on power but
it's happy after moving things around.