----- Original Message ----
> From: ah...clem <boneheads...@gmail.com>

> and if we are talking about a drive of the same
> vintage as the sawtooth in the original post, the chances are good
> that it is somewhere around 5-10 MB/s sustained internal transfer
> rate, and definitely not more than 25-30 MB/s sustained internal
> transfer rate.  the most modern, most expensive, SATA drives are just
> reaching 60 MB/s internal transfer rates, and the best IDE (PATA) or
> Ultra3 SCSI-LVD drives i have ever tested are about 40-50 MB/s.

FYI,

Just thought I run some tests on a 450 MHz Sawtooth with an ATTO UL2D SCSI
controller with  a pair of Western Digital 18 GB Ultra 2 LVD  (WDE 18300)
drives connected.

Using ATTO's ExpressPro Tools under OS 9.2.2
Peak Read: 52.89 MB/sec
Sustained Read: 50.19 MB/sec
Peak Write: 29.98 MB/sec
Sustained Write 26.82 MB/sec

Settings:
128 KB Max transfer size
2 MB sample size.

The transfer rates decrease with larger transfer and sample size settings. They
work flawlessly in OS 9 and OS X in the Sawtooth. Plenty fast for my needs.

The ATTO  controller and drives were pulled from a PM 7500 G3/450 with a 50 MHz
bus speed many years ago; they are quite old. The transfer rate in 7500 were
about half the rates above IIRC. --glen