Weird Epilogue:

Talked to the AT&T Tier Two support people (the competent ones they
diligently try to keep you from reaching).

Ultimately, he concluded that for some reason, Thunderbird wasn't
recognizing the presence of my username and therefore was internally
rejecting my username/password combination.

Eventually I correctly guessed why. For some reason, a few years ago
another Tier Two rep fixed a connection problem by changing the
username in my email client from (myname)@sbcglobal.net, to (myname)
%sbcglobal.net. Counterintuitive to me, but it worked with it and it
didn't work without it.

Now, for whatever reason, it didn't work until it was changed back to
"@". Apparently Thunderbird looked for the properly spelled username
with @, didn't find it, figured the username was incorrect, and
generated the boilerplate error message.

At least for the moment, instant fix.

Thank you again, Dan, for all your help. The transcript of this
discussion speeded the diagnostic process considerably.

Gracias,
Tony