This is one of those HP Photosmart C4200 All-in-One printer/scanners
that Apple was giving away with their computers a couple years ago
(USB connection).

I only want to use it as a scanner for photos, attached to a G4 MDD
1.42 GHz running 10.4.11. The Mac recognizes the scanner through the
HP software, and it scans the pictures, but the colors come out all
skewed. Red comes out greenish-yellow, etc. Even the color adjustment
controls of the HP software can't fix the weird colors.

However, when I connect this same scanner to a G4 dual 1 GHz, it scans
just fine, and the colors are correct.

So the mystery is, how come this scanner works with one G4, but not
the other one, the one I want it to? Both Macs are running 10.4.11
with all the updates, and have all the same other apps. Except for
their CPU models, both Macs are the same.

The HP software installs from a CD that was included with the scanner,
and it was used to install it on both Macs (there is no longer any
software or drivers available for this scanner on the HP website--they
seem uninterested in supporting it).

For the G4 MDD giving the wrong color scans, I uninstalled and
reinstalled the HP software several times, tried different USB ports,
examined all software preferences, calibrated the monitor, everything
I can think of, but the colors still scan funny.

Anybody got any ideas why this scanner will work fine with one G4 but
not another?