On Oct 1, 10:18 am, Tom <tba...@nmia.com> wrote:
> My mother-in-law, an elderly and stubborn lady (though nice) refuses
> to give up her old 1 GHz iMac (the half-soccer-ball novelty with the
> little monitor-on-a-stem sticking out of it) even though it dates from
> the Jurassic Period of computing and we all keep telling her she'd be
> better off with a new or at least newer iMac. She's had this Mac since
> she bought it new. The reason she wants to keep the old thing, says
> the sweet old thing, is that she has equally antique applications that
> she cannot bear to part with, and that can only run in OS 9 (such as
> an old genealogy program, an early word processor, solitaire games,
> etc.), and none of the newer iMacs can run Classic. She has simply got
> to run Classic, as well as OS-X for e-mail and surfing the web with
> Safari.
---snip---
> In short, what would be the best way to install both 10.4.11 and
> Classic 9.2.2 on this old G4 iMac?

I am still using this "dinosaur"  as my main desktop! This iMac is
dual boot --- can boot up in OS 9 as well as 10. I have Tiger
installed on mine. As I recall, I installed Tiger first, then booted
up with OS 9 disk and installed it. In The Start Up Preferences, you
can choose which OS to use.

I want to buy a new iMac, too, but don't want to lose the use of some
of my favorite Classic apps! So I would have to keep the "dinosau",
too. Somehow my husband thinks that having 2 Mac desktops, a Powerbook
(his) and MacBook (mine) are  too many computers!

Jane

PS These iMacs are called Flat Screen iMac.